Home > Ask a Doctor > Ask Our Doctor Archives: Arch Pain
Ask Our Doctor
Medical Conditions
Medical Products Store
Custom-Fit Orthotics
Surgery Videos
About Us
Contact Us

Ask Our Doctor About: Arch Pain

The questions on this Website have been answered by Board Certified Foot and Ankle Specialists associated with OurHealthNetwork.com. The foot and ankle physicians and surgeons in this group have a combined 100 years of practice experience. The information and opinions expressed below should not be viewed as diagnoses and treatments, but rather as information to help you understand your foot or ankle related problem. All medical problems should be diagnosed and treated by a foot and ankle specialist in your state, or your family doctor.

Subject: Plantar Fasciitis

"Is it possible to suffer from Plantar Fasciitis and only feel pain in the arch near the ball of the foot, rather than in the heel?"

Dr. Kasdan's response: "Yes. The plantar fascia extends from the ball to the heel, and pain can be felt anywhere along its length. The usual place that pain is felt is at or near the heel; however, pain can occur in the ball, arch, or heel and still be plantar fasciitis. For more information about plantar fasciitis, please click here."

Subject: Torn plantar fascia

"Instead of Plantar Fasciitis, doctors have told me I have a partially torn plantar fascia. What are your suggestions for treating this problem? Can physical therapy help me?"
Dr. Kasdan's response: "The plantar fascia supports our arch and keeps our bones in proper alignment. If it cannot function properly, our entire foot suffers. To protect the plantar fascia and allow it to heal properly, doctors use  a variety of treatments, depending on the severity of the tear. Immobilization, physical therapy, oral medications, nonweight-bearing on the injured foot, etc...are just some of the treatments doctors may recommend.  It is always best to consult your family doctor if you have a question about a treatment."

Subject: Walking on the outer parts of my feet

"I walk on the outer parts of my feet and wear out shoes on the outer heels. I saw a product called alzneers inserts but cannot find anything about this product on the Internet. With this problem should i see a doctor?"

Dr. Kasdan's response: "I have not heard of these inserts. But inserts usually will not straighten out one's gait. Biomechanical abnormalities of the feet cause us to walk on the outsides or insides of our feet. The biomechanical abnormalities can be due to: heredity, muscle imbalances, abnormal arch height, abnormal bone patterns, etc. It is our opionon, that no matter the cause, they are all best treated with custom-made orthtoics, which accommodate for the biomechanical abnormality present and allows the feet to function normally. This will prevent one from walking on the outsides of their feet. In 30 years of practice, I have made hundreds of orthotics for gait problems, and my patients have been extremely satisfied. Please click here to learn more about custom-made orthotics."

AOL Editor's Choice
Netscape Open Directory Cool site!
MSN Most Popular
© 2006 OurHealthNetwork.com
designed and developed by americaneagle.com